Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Best Buds

Many people ask me how Homer (our black lab) and Jacob get along so I thought I would blog about it and post a few pics of these two. I know I have talked about it before, but lately these two have been cracking me up.

Homer is surprisingly tolerant of Jacob and all he dishes out. Not that I thought Homer wouldn't like Jacob, but it just amazes me what he lets Jacob do to him! When Jacob was a tiny baby, he didn't really interact with Homer and Homer pretty much ignored him as well. But now that Jacob can crawl around and is interested in everything around him, he has become fascinated with Homer. He loves playing with his tags and Homer will just lay there while he jangles them.

I think Jacob was about to get licked here. Homer doesn't lick him nearly as much as I thought he might, though.
Photobucket

Okay, so a little tag jangling isn't that bad. However, the other day Jacob started gouging at Homer's eyes. I rushed over before things turned ugly, but Homer just laid there! And today he started pulling at Homer's toenails. Ouch! But Homer didn't seem to mind. He usually just gets this slightly annoyed look on his face.

And here is a picture of Jacob crawling over Homer's head. And again, Homey just laid there.

Photobucket

I think Homer already understands that Jacob is boss. He was trying to eat the other day when Jacob came crawling over. Homer moved away from his bowl. Ha Ha Ha I guess maybe he was just trying to share his meal with Jacob since he gets the leftovers that Jacob spills in his highchair. Homer waits until we take Jacob out and then he stretches his nose up and licks the scraps. Its a give and take relationship. :P

Best Buds
Photobucket

It is going to be so fun to watch their relationship develop as Jacob gets older (and more of a pest).

I think Homey deserves something special for all he puts up with. I just heard about a dog park in Loma Linda, so I think we should take him. He loved playing at the dog park in Holland when we lived there. :)

As much as I miss Maggie (my dog that we had to put to sleep last summer), I know that she would not have been as tolerant of Jacob and all the fur pulling, tail tugging, eye gouging, toenail pulling, etc. that Homer puts up with so well. I try to give him lots of praise and head pats to let him what good boy he is. :)

So, here's to Homey. Good dog!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

haha, cute :) I think dogs are pretty smart, they know that babies are humans. Cookie submits to Ethan too and it makes us laugh.