Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Farm Tour

Some friends and I read the book 'The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food and Love' by Kristin Kimball. A very interesting read about a city girl who ended up with a guy who is a farmer. The story is about their adventures in farming the old fashioned way, like using horses instead of plows. 
We decided to read the book, then go visit a local organic farm, Three Sisters Farm. I loved it!

All their winter squash 


They live in a straw house.

Isaac found a friend! The family has a 3 year old boy and these two had lots of fun playing together.

Fluffy fennel

The farm is in the canyon with mountains surrounding

They grow a row of indigenous plants to help with growing

The kids found the weasel hole and Isaac managed to drop his spider ring down it. The farmer was nice enough to dig it out for him, but then Isaac promptly lost it elsewhere.

These are the farmers who are currently growing on one acre of land and selling to a couple farmers markets, a local restaurant and their CSA members.

They live right by train tracks and while we were there we saw (and heard) 2 trains pass by


The boys were fascinated by all the bees in the flowers.

 I think lettuce is so pretty!

They have a bat house, but so far the bats haven't discovered it yet.

What's a farm without a tractor?


We had the opportunity to buy a produce basket so my mom and I split one. Oh my, there were lots of goodies in there!

Such a fun morning and I am glad the boys got the opportunity to go with us and learn a little about farming. 

No comments: