Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Food Truck Festival

On Saturday Alan and I went to the Food Truck Festival where over 50 food trucks parked in the parking lot of the Citizens Bank Arena to sell their food. Alan and I planned ahead and made a list of the places we wanted to try.

One of the places on our list


We had the meatball sandwich with kobe beef, applewood smoked bacon, Gruyere cheese, garlic aoli and arugula. Oh my, what delicousness!


There were lots of trucks that served Filipino or Vietnamese fusion. Basically Filipino or Vietnamese food served as a taco. We chose to try White Rabbit. We chose well. It was very good.
While we were waiting for our food we watched the 6 lb burrito-eating contest that was going on - 3 lbs of meat, 6 scoops of garlic rice, 6 slices of cheese, 6 eggs served on 6 tortillas. I think they had something like 45 minutes to eat it and we were there right at the end. Neither of these dudes could finish.


We also tried Korean food (spicy chicken skewers), an Argentine empanada, and a Cuban sandwich. All very good.
We were a bit surprised that the longest line by FAR was at The Grilled Cheese truck. I don't know, but I can make those at home pretty easily and was not about to wait an hour for one when, in my opinion, there was lots more interesting food to try.

Throughout the day they had roller derby demonstrations. I don't know why, but I am awfully intrigued by roller derby. What does that say about me? Maybe don't answer that. Did you know they have roller derby leagues who play at Fiesta Village and Cal Skate? I had no idea roller derby was so accessible. What could my roller derby name be? Some of my favorites are Annia Lation, Aretha Breaklimbs, Annie Ouchlie, Dutch Destroyer, Elbow Smackaroni (very creative) and the Patty series: Pattitude, Patty Passafist, Patty ParalyzHer, Patty Larceny, Patty Piranha. Is it bad that these make me giggle?




Anyway.......
We found some dessert at Coolhaus


We got waffle cookie with white chocolate chips with peanut butter ice cream inside. Oh yum, yum!


We picked up some super delicious cupcakes for later - pumpkin pie and toffee cheesecake for my wonderful parents who watched the boys while Alan and I were at the festival and double chocolate and meyer lemon with pomegranate frosting for us. Those were some GOOD CUPCAKES!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That looks like SO much fun! Matt and I are going to have to go to that next year. YUM!