We left Friday evening around 7:30 and got to Granby at 12:30 Saturday afternoon. Yup. We're the crazy people who just drove all night. It worked well, actually.
What do you do the first day of vacation, after driving all night? Why, you run a trail race, of course! It didn't start until 10:00 am so it wasn't bad.
This picture captures pretty much everyone in the race. I think there were 15 total - 7 in the short race (2.8miles) and 8 in the long race (5.9 miles - just the first race done twice).
The race started with this guy shooting off a rifle. I think I jumped about a mile in the air when that thing went off!
I chose to do the short race and am I glad I did! It was tough!! The first half was all uphill on loose, gravely dirt. Oh, and 8000 ft. elevation. That was the part that killed me!! Not.....enough......air. The second half was easier. Easier. Not easy. It was still on a trail in the thin air. For a long part we ran on a foot wide trail about a foot and a half away from the side of the mountain. The views were just beautiful! Oh, and we got to cross a creek 6 times. Not on a bridge - through the creek. My shoes were wet and fifthy by the end of the race.
Here I am rounding the corner before the finish line. Look at that scenery! Gorgeous. Hard not to be happy when you are running in such a beautiful place.
All done. See the flowers pots? That was the finish line. Love it! What I also loved was that at the finish line was this huge plate filled with huge homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! This was such a fun, small town race. It was tough, but I really enjoyed it.
The boys enjoyed playing in the sandbox with all the rusty old trucks while I ran the race.
I am not too proud to say that I came in last. This CA girl just couldn't keep up with those strong-lunged CO runners!
After we got to the condo, we realized we should have taken some more toys with us for the boys to play with during down time. We picked up a book filled with 5 Cars puzzles. Best $8 spent! They did those puzzles over and over again all week!
On Monday we went to Grand Lake and rented a kayak. They wouldn't let us all go on it together (boo) so Alan just took the boys on a couple little trips. They LOVED it!!
After boating, we got some icecream and then headed to the cute little downtown area of Grand Lake to shop. Isaac needed a new hat (see photo above - I shrunk his in the dryer - oops) and I needed new sunglasses because mine broke in half. Oops again.
Isaac showing off his new hat. I think he looks a little like Huck Finn.
And my new sunglasses
Okay, I think I'll end this post here and start a new one or this post will be never-ending.
1 comment:
Looks like an amazing trip... Colorado is so beautiful. We drove there once during the night when Ethan was a baby... but we said we probably wouldn't do that again, it was hard! Way to go :)
Good job running a race in that elevation too.. that's tough when you're not used to it! Whenever we go skiing I get all out of breath like I'm out of shape, lol.
Post a Comment