Friday, September 30, 2011

Just some randoms

Isaac loves all things Cars (the movie). Now, he didn't actually like the movie much (they watched the first one), but he loves all the stuff.

Here he wanted me to take his picture with Lightning McQueen

And then with Matador


Later that day the boys begged me to take their picture while eating.


On the menu: Chicken fingers (super easy to make and the boys love them) and apples sprinkled with cinnamon


I recently made an order to Penzeys. Have you heard of Penzeys? My friend Megan introduced me to them a couple years ago and I am in love. They sell spices. I can hear you now, 'Spices? Really, Patty? That is just SO exciting.' But, hear me out. You go to the grocery store and pay like $5 for a bottle of basil or oregano or whatever. Most of that cost goes to the stinkin' glass bottle! You can get a 4oz bag of basil from Penzeys for $6.75. A container of basil from the store is about an ounce so I am getting about 4 times the amount for the almost the same price.
Look what I got for around $60 - sesame seeds, crushed red pepper, ancho chile powder, anise, cumin, paprika, bay leaves, cinnamon, vanilla, 2 bags of their hot chocolate which is the best I have ever tasted, and a freebie that they include with every order and a free bumper sticker. That's a lot of stuff! I would probably pay that same amount (or more) for the small bottles at the store. But I got way more and in my opinion better product.

See the giant bag of bay leaves? OOPS. I should have looked at the bottle I had in my cupboard to see that the bottle you buy in the store is like .12 oz so a 4 ounce bag is going to have a ton of leaves. SO, if you would like some bay leaves, please let me know and I will make you up a bag. I spent under $7.00 for that whole bag so they were super cheap. Soup weather is coming up and I know you need some bay leaves!!

To store all these bags of spices, I just put them all in an open box in my pantry so I can see what I've got and fill my little containers in my spice cabinet as needed.

Speaking of soup weather, is anyone else ready for cooler weather to hit? I say this every September, but really it is time for 90 degree weather to be gone. Right before school started, I did buy some new short sleeved shirts in fall colors just so I could get excited about still wearing summer stuff. I did hear that next week is supposed to be the 70s. I'm going to make some soup - using bay leaves, of course!

Four weeks from Sunday is my big race, the LA half marathon. I feel like I should be running more than I do, but I'm doing my best. Last Sunday I ran 10 miles which is the farthest I have done. Feeling a bit more confident now that I have reached double digits. Ha! Its hard to get in those long runs since they take 2+ hours (I'm slow) and its been hot and its getting dark earlier. Yesterday I decided to tie a run in with my Baby Boot Camp class. I ran to class (2.25 miles), did the BBC workout which included running close to 4 miles and then ran the 2.25 miles home. I was pooped when I got home!

Here's a picture I don't think I have posted. It was taken a while ago, but it's cute. We had a pizza party with some friends and Alan was hauling some walnut wood over to the grill. The boys thought it looked like he could use some assistance.

No comments: