Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bedtime routine

Bedtime around here can either be precious or crazy.

A typical evening goes something like this.....

6:45-7:00 bath time - For some reason my boys get super wild after their bath. I think the bubbles emit a giggle gas or something. As soon as those wet feet hit the floor, they are off running naked down the hall, laughing and looking for something to get into. That I get them diapered and jammied is a small miracle!

7:00 snack and milk and stories on the kiddie couch

7:15 potty and brush teeth

7:20 we head up to Jacob's room to sit on the rocking chair and read the children's Bible, say prayers and sing a couple songs. Jacob can only last through so much before he is saying, 'I go night-night now. I go night-night now, Mommy.' So we tuck Jacob in and head to Isaac's room for a couple more songs.

The other night we read the Christmas story (Jacob's choice), then sang 'Away in a Manger.' I thought it was an appropriate song to go with the story and it is sorta like a lullaby. The boys loved it. Then we said prayers and I suggested to Jacob to say he was thankful for Baby Jesus. Isaac caught on to that because a couple minutes later he said, 'Tank-ou' and when I asked him what he was thankful for he said, 'Desus'. Oh my goodness that just melted my heart! I know he was just repeating what we said, but it was still super precious.

So that was a good night. Last night was a different story.

Everything went pretty well until we got into the bathroom. Jacob wanted to bring a book and he picked a long one so we were in there for what seemed an eternity. By the time we were through in there it was already 7:30 so I rushed them upstairs and I attempted to read a quick Bible story, but Isaac wouldn't sit on my lap, he tried to throw the Bible and then after he jumped off my lap he ran around the room like a little banshee. I suggested to Jacob that maybe we should sing a song first to get Isaac to settle down. No way! Jacob wanted to read Noah, not sing! So here I am trying to get Isaac to sit on my lap, sing a nice song while Isaac struggled and Jacob yelled, 'Noah! Noah! Noah!' All I could do was laugh. I finally did get them settled enough to read the story, sing a song and say prayers, but it was NOT the precious experience like the night before.

You just never know what is going to happen when you have two toddlers! We'll see what tonight brings.....

1 comment:

Two Guys and a Girl said...

Oh I just love this. You never know what's going to happen with kids, do you!