Friday, December 16, 2011

Easter Egg

Alan found the blue egg in the egg box this afternoon. Our first from one of our Americana (Easter Egg) chickens - either Olive or Camellia.


I put it next to a store-bought egg to show off the pretty blue color better. Its too pretty to eat, don't ya think?
And yes, I have to buy store-bought eggs even though we have 6 chickens. So far just two of the new girls have started laying and our older two haven't been laying lately. First they went through a molt and they don't lay when shedding their feathers. Then it got chilly and there are more dark hours in the day. Not to mention all the wind which I think stresses them out a little. Chickens don't do well with change and when their environment isn't perfect, they don't lay eggs regularly.

So there is your Chicken 101.

No comments: