Thursday, January 15, 2009

A birthday, some tile, lots of dust and lots of walks

Yesterday was Alan's birthday. :D My parents watched Jacob while we went to dinner at Canton Bistro. We had never been and wanted to try it out. I thought the food was just okay. Its not a place I am itching to go back to. It was nice to have dinner just the two of us, though. Later in the month Alan and I are going out to L.A. to the Largo, one of our favorite places. It moved and the set up is different, so we'll see if we like it as much. They used to serve dinner and then the musicians would play afterward, but they don't serve food anymore, so we'll have to find a place to eat beforehand. I am looking forward to it!

Yesterday the kitchen backsplash tile was put it. I love it! We weren't sure if we should do it or not and now I am so glad we did. The tile in there wasn't horrible, but in my opinion it was too big and the surface was rough and seemed hard to clean. So now I have my subway tile and I am super happy with it.

Before
(These pictures were taken of the counter, not the tile. That is why the angle is weird)



After



The floor refinishers finished the hardwood floors today. No pictures yet since we aren't supposed to walk on it for a couple days. I did peek at the hallway and spare room from the stairs and it looks good. I can't wait to see the rest of it. I am so glad we did this now. It would be so much harder to do later after all our stuff was in the house. You have to remove everything because dust gets EVERYWHERE! There is dust on the kitchen floor and that is downstairs, around the corner and down the hallway from where they were working.

Jacob has been struggling with sleep again. He is waking early and would be a total crabbo if I didn't go for a morning walk and let him catch a little catnap. Now the past couple days he is refusing his nap. It is just like a month ago when he just stands in his crib and screams. Yesterday I went for an afternoon walk and let him nap. Today he was just being UGLY since he was so tired. I couldn't take it anymore, so I loaded him in the car and we went for a long drive in the canyon. He napped while I listened to some John Mayer and chilled. So much for being planet-friendly and saving some gas, huh? I could have gone for a walk, but I was just too tired. I don't sleep all that great at night anymore due to this ever-growing belly and Jacob has been getting up at 5:00/5:30 for almost a week now. Blech.

Enough complaining. :P At least all these walks are good for me!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

For some reason my bloglines hasn't been picking up your blog.... odd. I LOVE the subway tile, I think it looks so much better than the other tile, and I like the contrast it offers... good choice :)

The floors in your upstairs look great too! Wow, how glad you must be to have someone else do that since it takes SO long when you do it yourself :)

As for Jacob's naps... that is such a bummer. I totally feel for you in the cranky baby department. It is ROUGH when they are just cranky and ugly... it can be really hard to keep a good attitude! I totally understand the desperation in just wanting to get him to sleep! I sure hope this is a short phase for you and that it ends!