Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Random pictures, stories, thoughts

I think I am finally caught up blogging about all the major recent events, so now I'll share some of the random stuff.

First a precious little story that just warms my heart whenever I think of it. A week or two ago, Isaac was having a hard time napping and at one point was fussing a little but I just let him be, thinking he would fall back asleep. Then he started screaming, so I thought it was time to just go get him up. Jacob came with me and as I peered into the dark room, I could see that something wasn't right. Somehow he had gotten his chubby little leg stuck in the crib rails. I tell ya, this kid is accident prone! I tried and tried to get his leg out, but I wasn't getting anywhere and he was frantic so I decided I needed something to lube him up. The boys were out of lotion upstairs so I had to run downstairs to get some. I didn't want to just abandon Isaac so I told Jacob to stay with him and tell him that it was okay. As I rushed down the stairs I could hear him repeating over and over, 'Its okay, Isaac. Its okay, Isaac'. As I ran back up the stairs he was still saying it and as I walked in the room I could see him reaching through the crib rails to pat Isaac and tell him it was okay. Oh, that just makes a mommy's heart just melt! Fortunately, using some lotion to grease up his leg worked like a charm and it popped right out. Whew!

Isaac loves to snuggle

Jacob wanted to snuggle too. Love that little baby bum sticking out at the camera!!

We finally got to go on our first whole family bike ride a couple weeks ago. We biked down to the farmers' market one Saturday morning. The boys seemed to enjoy it. I could hear them just a singing away!

Alan and I have been working on our homemade pizza-making technique and we've got it mastered. A while back he made a fig and goat cheese pizza that was to DIE for!! It is my new favorite right now - we had it again last Friday. He made a spread out of dried figs, port and I don't know what else and then topped the pizza with caramelized leeks and goat cheese. After it is baked you add prosciutto and arugula tossed with a little olive oil and salt. OH MY GOODNESS!!!

** Jacob has been asking a lot of questions lately: 'Where's Daddy?, Where's Isaac going?' and his favorite 'What's DAT?!?'
** He uses the word 'nicely' a lot. 'I do it nice-e-wee' which usually means he is doing something he shouldn't but he thinks that if he does it 'nicely' then it is okay. For example, he'll hit Isaac and I'll scold him, then he'll pat Isaac and say, 'I do it nic-e-wee'. Lovely, huh??
** He is adamantly against potty training. A while back he was getting into it, but then all of a sudden he changed his mind. I bought a potty chair last week, thinking maybe he would like that. He'll play with it, but as soon as we suggest using it for its intended purpose he gets all frantic. Yesterday he took a really long nap and I decided it was high time he get up so I went in his room to wake him up. I was standing over the crib about to say something, when he pops up and says, 'I not go potty! I not go potty!' Oh my. Guess we'll wait a while and try again.
** Jacob is going to take swimming lessons in a couple weeks and I am really excited about it. He's always practicing swimming in the bathtub! ' I swimming. I swimming!' I was on the hunt for a new swimsuit and was having a hard time finding one I liked. They were either too girly for my taste or were pirate themed. Seriously, what is with the pirates?!? At Children's Place this one woman was all giddy over getting her son a pirate shirt. Why not just get a shirt that has a bank robber on it or a home invader? Sorry if you like pirates and I offend. Just my opinion! Anyway, I found the boys some cute suits and shirts at Old Navy during their $9 sale and then Jacob got some hand-me-downs from a friend so he's all set!

** Isaac has been going through a really clingy stage and it was getting very frustrating. If I am around all he wants to do is be held by me. Nobody else will do! If I don't pick him up he just clings to my legs and whines and whines. Then if I remove him he'll throw himself on the ground and kick and flail. We've decided to wean him from nursing because we feel this has become a crutch for him and makes him too dependent on me. Today is day two of no nursing and he is doing well, so far. The clinginess seems to have declined a bit too, so hopefully this will do the trick. I'm a little sad to be done with nursing, but feel it is best for our sanity. We'll see!
** Isaac's new words are 'ba-ba' (bye-bye), 'ni-ni" (night-night), baw (ball), papa (puppy) and sometimes 'daw' (dog). There are probably more that I can't think of.
** Isaac loves to imitate his big brother and has learned to jump (not leaving the ground, of course) and march. The other day Jacob was rolling on the grass and Isaac tried to copy him. He put his head down on the ground with his bum sticking up in the air. He was so proud!

Love these boys! They are just TOO CUTE!!
That's it for now. I've got some videos to share too, but I'll do that later. :D

2 comments:

Sarah Schenkel said...

I love all your posts! Good job catching up--I'm impressed! And yes, that pizza looks like it is to die for, although I'm not sure if I like figs. :)

Jessica said...

Oh that pizza sounds amazing!

The ball looks super fun and all of the pictures are so cute!

Great job catching up :)