Sunday, June 6, 2010

Update on Operation NMN

I think we are day 7 of Operation No More Nursing. At the end of day 2 I was doing some reading up on weaning and started to have doubts that we were doing the right thing. I kept reading 'Its distressing for a baby to be weaned before they are ready' and blah, blah, blah....

Glad I didn't give up because Isaac is like a completely different kid!! He isn't a total cling-on anymore. No more whining, no more tantrums (well, there are some - he is a toddler, after all). I can now use the bathroom without him screaming on the other side of the door. I can leave the room and he doesn't have a complete meltdown the minute he realizes I am gone. Before he wanted to be held all the time, but now he squirms to get down so he can go play! Before I would have to sit on the floor of the playroom while he played or he would get upset. Now he just plays so happily by himself, running around the house or reading his books. Its wonderful!!! Whenever I get a little sad that my baby isn't a baby anymore and doesn't need me like he did, or feel guilty for weaning him, I just remind myself how wearing it was to have him SO dependent on me and not be able to function without me right by his side. Best decision ever.

One of his new favorites is Berenstain Bears books. I think they have replaced me. :P He just loves these books! If he is cranky, all I have to say is, 'Where are your Berenstain Bears books?' He runs to get them and is a happy little guy again.

Not sure why the quality of this picture is so bad, but I am posting it anyway because I love the expression on Isaac's face.

Taking a moment to page through a book



Read to me, Mommy!

He is still not completely used to the idea of not nursing at 4:00 am, so has been waking at that time crying a lot. Alan and I have been pretty tired this week, but it is getting better every day so I think we are almost there. Yesterday morning he did great, but this morning was a little worse, so we'll see.

2 comments:

Two Guys and a Girl said...

Yay! I'm glad Operation NMN is going well! And you can't always go by what you read- you have to do what is best for you and your family, no matter what books/the internet says! Ugh about the 4am crying. Hopefully that passes quickly!! And if not, just know that I'm probably up right along with you :o)

Julie said...

I love it when kids love books!